Instant Pot® Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
The Instant Pot® is a mighty kitchen appliance that cooks a meal fast and produces lots of flavour because of the high temperature.
Like a slow cooker and the pressure cooker, you are able to set the appliance then forget it while you prepare the rest of the meal.
Designed by a Canadian software engineer, Robert Wang had left his job and wanted to solve a problem . . . how to get a family dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
This Instant Pot® recipe will walk you through how to make a chicken and wild rice soup.
Preferably, you would want to use your own homemade chicken stock for extra health benefits and even more flavour.
What is an Instant Pot®
An Instant Pot® is one appliance that comes in 3, 6, 8, and 10-quart sizes and can:
- pressure cook
- sous vide
- air fry
- cook rice
- make yoghurt
- keep food warm
The best thing about these is, there’s no bad decision!
Both models get great reviews.
The Instant Pot® Duo is a 7-in-1 appliance.
The newer Instant Pot® Duo Crisp pressure cooker and air fryer model has more functions and comes in the 8-quart size.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Active cook time: 30 minutes* (and the time for the appliance to come to pressure)
Natural release: 10 minutes of natural release
* This recipe was tested at 30 minutes active cook time and rice was soft.
For firmer rice, reduce active time to 28 minutes.
Notes: If you can’t find baby Portobello mushrooms look for ‘Bella’ mushrooms! They are the same.
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large stalks celery, lightly peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz. baby Portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 1 c. wild rice blend*, rinsed
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 6 c. homemade chicken stock
- ¼ c. fresh parsley, chopped
* I use Lundberg Wild Rice Blend which mixes long-grain brown rice, sweet brown rice, wild rice, whole-grain Wehani® rice, and whole-grain black Japonica™rice.
TIP: This rice blend also delicious simmered in chicken stock instead of water and served with another dish.
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function.
Set to medium and once hot, add celery, carrots, and onion.
Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until vegetables begin to soften in approximately 3 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms and dried thyme.
Stir to combine and continue cooking.
Stir occasionally until the mushrooms begin to darken, in approximately 3-4 minutes.
Turn unit off.
3. Add wild rice, chicken breasts, bay leaves, and broth to Instant Pot®.
Add lid and set the pressure valve to “Sealing.”
Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set the cooking time to 30 minutes.
4. When the cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes.
Next, do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
Turn the unit off and carefully remove the lid.
5. Transfer the chicken breasts to a platter and shred with two forks.
Return chicken pieces to the Instant Pot® and add fresh parsley.
Taste and season with additional salt and black pepper if needed, and stir to combine before serving.
Unique soup bowls and holders
As an Etsy Influencer I earn from qualifying purchases.
These cotton soup bowl holders are a genius idea!
Slip your bowl and soup into the holder, microwave until soup is hot, then simply remove by holding the corners.
And they double up for ice cream so the kids can enjoy a bowl of ice cream on their lap.
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot
- Chopping board
- Chef's 8" knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Large sieve
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Wooden spoon
- 2 forks for shredding
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 large celery stalks lightly peeled
- 1 large carrot peeled
- 1 small onion peeled
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 4 oz baby Portobello mushrooms
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup wild rice blend rinsed
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock homemade
- 1/4 cup parsley fresh
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to medium and once hot, add celery, carrots, and onion. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until vegetables begin to soften, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and dried thyme. Stir to combine and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms darken slightly, approximately 3-4 minutes. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Add wild rice, chicken breast, bay leaves, and broth to Instant Pot®. Add lid and set the pressure valve to “sealing.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 30 minutes
- When cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Turn the unit off and carefully remove the lid.
- Transfer the chicken breast to a platter and shred with two forks.Return chicken to Instant Pot® and add fresh parsley. Taste and season if necessary.
This soup is also delicious with fresh summer herbs and a pinch of chilli flakes.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.