How to make a vegetarian keto pizza
This delicious and guilt-free vegetarian pizza has a soft crust made using egg, cheese, and cream cheese.
Add your favourite herbs and a dash of garlic powder then bake the crust until it becomes light and pillowy.
Topped off with a spicy sauce, two types of cheeses, extra herbs, and you have a topping that is delicious!
Quick and easy to make, this recipe satisfies those pizza cravings any night of the week.
Experiment with all of your favourite keto pizza toppings and discover which one is best.
What I love about this recipe
- I’ll admit I was sceptical at first as I’m not a huge fan of lots of grease in a pizza, but this recipe is far from oily.
As long as you don’t smother the top with grated cheese, you’ll be fine.
- I hadn’t realized the crust would be soft and pillowy and it was refreshing for a change.
- I brought some bite-sized pieces over to a wine and cheese and these appetizers were fabulous at room temperature too. And, they held up to a lot of handling. Each piece went from the baking tray to cutting board to a container to a serving plate to a napkin – not too bad!
- This is a versatile, easy recipe that can handle a lot of flavours, so don’t be afraid to add some spices!
- I also use a leftover tomato curry-based sauce which is spectacular on this pizza.
Want to know even more about a Keto diet?
Earlier I explored how a keto diet works, what to expect including tips and advice such as needing keto testing strips so you know your body is in ketosis which is when you are burning fat, not glucose.
As well, how to get more greens in your diet without stuffing your fridge with bags and bags of broccoli, kale, and spinach.
Tip: I use an Organic Greens Booster with pure, dehydrated broccoli, kale, and spinach complete with all of their fibre.
I’ll be updating that post as I learn more about Keto too!
How to make your vegetarian keto pizza
Prep time: 10 minutes + 5-10 minutes resting time
Cook time: 20 minutes
Temperature: 375° F (190C)
- 8 oz. (225g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1½ t. dried basil, divided
- 1½ t. dried oregano, divided
- 1 t. garlic powder, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ T. tomato paste
- 3 T. sugar-free tomato sauce
- 1 c. Mozzarella cheese, shredded
~ Add 4 oz. pepperoni, thinly sliced for pepperoni pizza
~ Swap Mozzarella cheese for 1/3 c. blue cheese, 2/3 c. tasty cheddar
~ Add 1 tablespoon fresh herbs to the sauce if you prefer. I used chives.
~ Garnish with fresh basil or oregano leaves
- Make sure the cream cheese and eggs are at room temperature before you begin.
You’ll create a lighter, more spongy pizza base if you do.
- Whisking adds even more air to your pizza base than stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Depending on the thickness you may need to adjust the temperature and time.
For best results, a base thicker than 1/4″ should bake at 350°F until golden brown. Allow for more time.
If you have your own special homemade pizza sauce, now’s the time to make it.
Allow the sauce to cool while you prepare the keto base.
If not, move to the next step.
1. Prepare and bake the base
Add cream cheese, eggs, and dried herbs, basil and oregano, to a medium mixing bowl.
Add half the grated cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste then stir to combine all ingredients.
Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Check halfway through and rotate for even baking.
Remove the pizza base from the oven and allow to cool on a rack.
2. Prepare and make the sauce
Whisk the tomato paste and tomato sauce, the remaining herbs and garlic powder, in a small bowl.
Lightly season with salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine.
I recommend you do a taste test. You may also add a pinch of ground chilli powder.
If you decide, add a touch of fresh herbs as well.
1 tablespoon of fresh chopped chives goes well in this dish.
3. Baking the pizza
This is a fun kid-friendly job!
Who doesn’t love sprinkling cheese over a pizza base?
Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Consider custom building out your pizza!
If you use two kinds of cheese, make one end blue cheese end, and the other, tasty or mozzarella cheese.
Return pizza to oven and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is bubbly.
Remove pizza from the oven, slice and garnish with fresh basil or sprigs of oregano.
Serve sliced pizza on a platter with sprigs of fresh herbs and micro leaves to garnish.
This pizza is superb with a crisp salad.
Pizza gift ideas
To appreciate and celebrate your chef I’ve curated some pizza gift ideas.
This bicycle pizza cutter is so cute! It comes in blue, red, and yellow.
Next, these soft, stretchy pizza slice toddler bummies are designed for toddlers. They also make cute matching head band bows.
And then, what about this pizza patterned blanket! I did a double-take and thought it was very clever.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m a huge fan of Lodge and love the idea of making my next pizza on this cast iron griddle!
Anything cooked on cast iron is that much hotter after it’s on your plate and tastier.
What I like about this griddle is, you can use it to bake, broil, fry, or grill, so it’s not just for pizza.
I have a pizza stone and use it for pizza and baking sourdough bread. I even use it to reheat my pizza!
The extra-wide folding pizza peel is super handy for lifting and transferring pizza.
There’s nothing quite so sad in the kitchen as seeing your pizza, face down on the floor.
Presto has come out with a countertop pizza baker and it’s a big hit.
Watch your pizza rotate and bake right before your eyes!
I think this is a fabulous idea and it introduces kids to baking in a fun way.
It’s also fantastic for pizza night with family or friends – somehow it reminds me of our fondue evenings.
It also heats up or bakes snacks.
Easy Vegetarian Keto Pizza
- Medium mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden spoon
- Wooden spoon
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Oven mitts
- Cooling rack
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1.5 tsp dried basil divided
- 1.5 tsp dried oregano divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder divided
- 1.5 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce sugar-free
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 leaves fresh basil
- 2 leaves fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 375° F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon basil and oregano, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder in a medium-sized bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and whisk until mixture is completely blended and smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the prepared baking sheet into the desired shape and thickness. (For thicker crusts, reduce oven temperature to350° F and increase baking times for best results).
- Place the crust in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly puffed and golden brown. Check halfway through cooking time to ensure the crust bakes evenly and does not become too brown.
- In the meantime, whisk the tomato paste, tomato sauce, the remaining dried herbs, and the garlic powder in a small bowl. Lightly season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Remove the pizza base from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before topping with tomato sauce and shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Return pizza to oven and bake for another 10 minutes, or just until the cheese has melted. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Garnish with snipped fresh basil and oregano leaves.