How, what, and why, you need an air fryer
Are you tired of oil spattering over your stovetop and counters each time you fry something?
When I realized each time one of us cooks, we’re doing the soapy-hot water wipe down afterwards, so I looked into what an air fryer actually does and why we need one in our kitchen.
Turns out, they are an impressive kitchen gadget!
When kitchen space is at a premium with the latest gadgets and appliances, it can be hard choosing which one to have.
Let’s explore how an air fryer works and why giving the gift of an air fryer may not be as silly as it sounds.
This coming holiday season is the right time to consider a cooking gift for someone on your holiday shopping list, especially if they love deep-fried food but want to switch it up and take the healthier approach.
Instant Pot has a duo air fryer and pressure cooker!
Seriously, this is a super-exciting Instant Pot update!
Instant Pot’s combined air fryer and pressure cooker is a fabulous idea for busy parents who love to eat healthy meals that don’t cost a fortune or take a long time to make!
With the combination of an air fryer and pressure cooker you won’t need anything else.
Why do I need an air fryer?
Here are BIG reasons why you seriously need an air fryer in your kitchen and why you should also give one as a gift.
- Air fryers are great for anyone who enjoys hot, tasty, crunchy food . . . and let’s face the truth – who doesn’t love this.
- These appliances are very safe to use especially for beginner cooks in the kitchen. Unlike cooking on the stovetop, this system is completely enclosed.
- You won’t get burned by hot oil.
- An air fryer has automatic functions so there is no need to guess when food is ready. Depending on the model, you simply press the button and everything, from the temperature to time of cooking, is done for you.
More reasons why an air fryer makes sense
No one likes the clean up after roasting a chicken!
- Air fryers are convenient, simply let the appliance do all the hard work while you prepare a salad and set the table.
- And, they’re portable – bring yours to the next family dinner and surprise everyone with a tasty hot appetizer!
- There is very little cleanup afterwards because you don’t have to dispose of dirty oil after, and just pop the basket and racks into the dishwasher.
- Some models work with Alexa or Google Assistant, so if you have one of these then you’ve got quite the team in your kitchen.
If you’re interested in using either of these technologies, then look for air fryers with WiFi.
- It’s a fantastic idea because kitchen appliances are moving in this direction. You can now get the Instant Pot Smart WiFi operated by Bluetooth and slow cookers like the stainless-steel Crock-Pot 6 quart We-Mo Smart Slow Cooker.
- Because air fryers make being in the kitchen easy, they are also appreciated by those who don’t like cooking that much.
If your basket isn’t dishwasher safe, simply soak the basket and racks in hot soapy water and use this soft Casabella round scrubbing brush to reach into small corners.
Cooking meatballs is THIS quick and easy!
- Make your favourite meatball recipe.
- Gently shape the mixture into 1 1/2-inch (golf ball size) balls.
- Place shaped balls on a single layer in your air fryer basket.
- Cook the meatballs at 400°F until lightly browned and cooked through – approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove cooked meatballs and keep warm.
- Repeat until all meatballs are ready.
- Serve in your favourite sauce.
If you know someone who doesn’t think they can cook, the air fryer will surprise them because it is so easy to use!
And here’s yet another amazing reason to have an air fryer . . . there are some amazing recipes out there!
Cooking with a new appliance inspires all of us to enjoy healthier cooking alternatives.
So, keep this in mind for anyone you know with high blood pressure or watching their cholesterol intake because 85% less oil is used for that same satisfying crunch and flavour.
The Essential Air Fryer is a cookbook for two and very popular.
The Air Fryer Cookbook has 600 recipes for beginners and advanced cooks.
The Skinnytaste Air Fryer Cookbook has some creative appetizer recipes such as crispy coconut shrimp, chicken-vegetable spring rolls, Za’atar chickpeas, and Korean pork lettuce wraps.
Making cheese hamburgers is THIS quick and easy!
- Combine your favourite herbs and spices with 1 pound lean ground beef.
- Make four patties.
- Place two patties (1/4 pound each) in your air fryer and cook at 375° for 4 minutes per side.
These will be cooked to MEDIUM.
- Remove from your air fryer and immediately top with a slice of cheddar cheese.
- Keep warm and repeat with the remaining two patties.
- Add to bun with all of your fixings – baby spinach leaves, mashed avocado, sliced red onion and radishes – delicious!
What does an air fryer do?
Air frying is a healthy alternative to fry any food such as steak, chicken, seafood, fish, root vegetables.
You still get that same crunchy texture we all love with frying food but there is much less oil to blot out with paper towel when compared to the traditional stovetop deep fryer.
In fact, if you use too much oil, your air fryer will smoke.
Cooking with an air fryer is fast.
You will have a hot meal ready for the table in a lot less time than if you were to cook the same one in a traditional oven.
How does an air fryer work?
The hot air circulates so fast in this fryer that your food is able to cook with the smallest amount of oil.
And, thanks to all the preset options, your air fryer takes all the guesswork out of cooking times whether that’s for the main dish, side dish, or appetizers.
Simply choose the preset button for your meat.
If you want to cook a steak, choose the steak button with the corresponding image – and the same goes for chicken or seafood.
There’s even a button for bacon in some models.
I'm vegetarian, is an air fryer worth it?
Whether you have fresh or frozen vegetables, soft vegetables like spinach leaves or the tougher root vegetables like parsnips, carrots and beets, the air fryer will gently cook them all in an extra-light drizzle of oil.
Using preset options, you can also use your air fryer to cook crispy, delicious fries, desserts, and even bread.
Can I change the temperature?
You sure can!
There is the option of choosing what temperature you prefer as well as how long you need something to cook for.
Is the air fryer big?
Though this fryer doesn’t take up a lot of counter space, it’s not small on what it can hold on the inside.
For example, a 5.8 quart air fryer is capable of holding and cooking a large 6 pound chicken and will serve 3-5 people.
The 3.7 quart size serves 2-3 people.
What other features does an air fryer have?
- One of the top features with this fryer is the preheating option that makes everything ready to cook in 5 minutes or less.
- There is a shake-reminder feature.
This allows food to cook to perfection because when you’re cooking something that needs a shake that will make everything cook evenly, the shake function kicks in to remind you. (Love it!)
- The ‘keep warm’ feature.
Much like a slow cooker, this feature keeps your food ready until you want it.
Perfect for kids coming home after school who need a quick and healthy hot snack in the colder months.
- The nonstick basket!
This basket is designed for maximum capacity and is removable which makes it’s easy to clean in the dishwasher.
When you purchase the air fryer, you’ll also receive a recipe book for different dishes you can cook in this handy small kitchen appliance.
Can I get extra accessories?
- cake pan
- pizza pan
- metal holder
- rack with metal skewers
- silicone mould
- and an egg-bite mould which is perfect for those quick breakfasts on the go.