How to make your own
Speculaas spice mix originates in Holland and is added to many baking recipes.
Made using a fine blend of slices, the aroma is rich, warm ,and inviting which makes it fun to make and even harder to put the jar back in the pantry.
The best part is, it’s so easy to make!
Just combine the spices, shake well and store in an airtight, labelled container.
Every now and then I like adding half a teaspoon to my baking to change up the flavours, especially when the recipe calls for cocoa!
If you have a dehydrator you may already have dehydrated orange slices. If so, grind the whole slices in your spice grinder.
If you don’t, here’s a quick method:
- Zest an orange or two clementines onto parchment paper.
- Lay on a baking tray and bake at 200 degrees F (80 degrees C) for approximately one hour. Higher temperatures kill Vitamin C, so have your oven as low as you can.
- Turn the tray halfway through.
- Remove zest from oven and allow it to cool.
- Store in a labelled, airtight container until needed for any baking, marinades, or even a salad dressing!
Here's what you need
- 5 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace* (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground orange or clementine zest (optional)
Photo used with permission.
*Mace is the outer covering of the nutmeg seed and is called a ‘blade.’
It’s hard to find in regular stores and usually, you can only buy powdered mace.
If you prefer using whole spices, get your organic mace here.
- Grind 4-5 large cinnamon sticks in a spice grinder until fine or measure out the cinnamon powder.
Add to a small mixing bowl.
- Either crush whole cloves in a mortar with the pestle or measure out the clove powder.
Add to the bowl.
- Add orange or clementine slices or zest to the mortar and crush until a fine powder.
Add to the jar.
- Measure remaining pre-ground spices and add to the bowl.
- Stir spices until well mixed.
- Transfer Speculaas spice mixture to the jar using a funnel.
- Add a label, make sure the lid is on tight and store in a dry area.
- Shake the jar before using as some spices may have settled.
How to make a quick paper funnel
Roll up a sheet of 8.5×11″ paper.
Pop the narrow end in the jar.
Check there are no gaps in the paper roll before pouring your spice mix into the wider mouth.